Easter and stuff
It has been snowing for a week, temperature is around -5*C, everybody went for ski holidays, so we can be sure, that this is finally Easter in Hammerfest. Streets are empty, shops are closed, we live in a ghost city now. The only people who work (running a cafe) are Germans. Mankind can always depend on them 🙂 This is what happened:
1. We are visiting Poland in a month time, so one of us needed to injure itself. This time it was Maya, who decided that twisting an ankle wouldn’t be good enough, so she ruptured achilles tendon. This gave us opportunity to visit hospital and get some experience with norwegian health care. Funny enough surgeon was our russian friend, who did a great job and promised that he gained his experience in Sant Petersburg, not on a soviet nuclear submarine. Now Maya will be walking with crouches for next 2 months so we are counting on best places in the airplane.
2. Ziggi is finally working and he is as happy as the day is long. He takes pictures for newspaper called Hammerfestingen – attending all the concerts in the area, talking to strangers and taking photos of mayor of the city. He is also working as video photographer making movies and short commercials for local companies. So he comes back home in strange hours, freezes in the wind, spends hours changing black levels and making adjustments no one will later notice, and this all is making him smile really wide.
3. It’s almost a year since we moved to Norway and this was one of the most interesting years in our lives (so far). We’ve (almost) learned the language, still don’t like food here (apart from frozen pizza), we have lived in 4 different places, had 3 different jobs each, seen aurora, meet reindeers, climbed a lot of mountain tops, become friends with fjords and some great people.
4. We visited Finland again (together with Marcin and Ola) and tried snow scooters in -25*C. It was fun. It was cold. We also discovered 2 km long slope for sledges. It was also fun. And cold.
5. Last month we passed our norwegian language tests. We can now officially talk to people about our work, weather, hobby and friends. We can also understand them if they talk slowly.
6. It’s snowing like hell and sometimes it isn’t easy to get out of home because of 0,5 meter snow in front. Local people say, that spring will come in summer.